12.15.2008

Bye Bye DVSAS, Hello Boys and Girls Club

So as the year comes to an end, I believe so will my internship with DVSAS. As much as DVSAS has changed my life for the better, it is time to move on.

I really want to work with youth and I'm rather limited at DVSAS. I've applied for a volunteer position at the Ferndale Boys and Girls Club. I am going to talk to the program director as soon as I get back from England so hopefully everything works out. I have also applied for a paid position in Seattle at their Boys and Girls Club. Although I am not exactly qualified for the position, I thought I'd give it a shot.

I've been drawn towards organizations that I've had personal experience with. DVSAS has helped me deal with my own abuse and help empower others to tell someone and seek out support. If I lived in Seattle, I'd most definitely be trying to become involved with the National Eating Disorder Association. DVSAS and NEDA are both amazing organizations but they don't deal specifically with youth. When I was younger, Boys and Girls Club saved my life. Instead of getting into trouble, I spent my afternoons at the BGC, playing sports, making friends, doing crafts. I want to become involved with the organization that made such a huge impact on my life, in a good way. Kids need support at a young age or they are going to fall off the deep end when they are older.

So anyway, I'll be involved with DVSAS on and off until April--I've already committed to "Sexual Assault Awareness Month" and I still have a youth client but other than that, I hope to be involved with Boys and Girls Club.

Their mission statement:
To enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to reach their full potential as productive, caring, responsible citizens.

No comments:

Post a Comment