5.28.2010

teetotaler

My aunt died on Wednesday night. She was in her mid forties. She literally drank herself to death and when she finally realized what was happening, her liver burst and she died.

This woman drank every single day of her adult life. The doctors told her a few months ago that if she didn't stop, she was going to die. Well, she did.

And sadly, I see so many of my friends on this path. I have friends that drink almost every day. And not just one drink but multiple drinks. I have had roommates that can't get through their day without a drink. People around me seem to think that since they are young, they can drink as much and as often as they want and there will be no consequences. Sadly, I know that is not the case.

Don't get me wrong, I used to enjoy drinking. Loved it actually. I even enjoy a drink every so often but after seeing this, I can't do it anymore. I can't hurt my body and this isn't one of those things were I won't drink but I will do a bunch of other crappy things to my body...I don't smoke anything, I don't drink coffee and I hardly have soda anymore. I try to take care of myself the best I can.

I probably sound really uptight about this whole drinking issue but since this situation with my Aunt could have been prevented, I feel it is my responsibility to make sure that I am doing everything to make sure that I never end up like her.

No comments:

Post a Comment