6.04.2008

Censor?

Freedom of speech.

The American people demand it. In this country, we are allowed to pretty much allowed say and do what we want (well at least in the comforts of our homes).

Lately, I’ve been having quite a few “foot in mouth” moments. From the classroom to my personal life.

I was called a “bigot” by one of my professors for saying that everybody is racist. The entire class looked at me and I instantly reflect moronic for even speaking up in the first place.

I made the mistake of saying something to a stranger that normally would have been fine if I had been with my friends but instead made her and people around her cringe. I instantly thought I was insensitive. But as I started thinking about it—when does a person censor themselves?


Do we censor ourselves around people we don’t know? Certain friends? Certain authority?

But does censoring yourself mean that you are not able to excerise your right to freedom of speech?

Aren’t we just putting on masks to hide what we really think and feel?

No comments:

Post a Comment