A lot of the same topics between different friends have been coming up in my conversations lately…here are a couple of them.
What happened to a woman’s right to choose?
I’m not just talking about reproduction either. I’m talking about a woman’s right to choose what she wants to do with her life. What she chooses to take a stand for and take a stand against.
I don’t see much of a woman’s right to choose around Western’s campus. The vibe that I’ve gotten is—you either attend every single woman’s event or you must hate women or you aren’t proud to be a woman.
I’m proud to be a woman. I just know that I don’t have time and energy to focus on every single issue and frankly, I don’t even want to. I’m not saying that I don’t care about everything because I do. I’d rather give my full attention to a couple of issues and fight with all my heart then half-ass fight for everything.
If a woman chooses not to support one thing or another, that is okay. It is HER choice, NOT yours. Don’t hate on her because she doesn’t want to attend “I had an abortion” or “The Clitoris.”
And speaking of those events and others like it—why does Western seem to primarily have sex-based events? I don’t see women events for “Female Empowerment in the Workplace.” I know that the hipster world emphasizes a cool, quirky job at some underground newspaper and working at a neat coffee place on teh weekends but in reality, most of the world isn’t like that. Most of the working world is run by corporations and there is a good chance that we all will have to work for one some day.
..that’s all i’ve got for now.
No comments:
Post a Comment