12.31.2008

What a year..



I can't believe this year is already over. So much has happened, I don't even know where to begin.

Well I do know that I've never cried as much in my life as I have this year. I seem to spew tears over everything good or bad, happy or sad, etc. Although it can be somewhat annoying at times, it is nice to not feel like a zombie.

This year has been one of many changes in my life. I started DVSAS in January and found myself going down a path that I had never thought about before. I never anticipated that I'd become involved in social justice or women's rights. And at times I have wanted to give up but I stuck with it. I have told my story to hundreds of middle schoolers, my survivial of sexual assault and domestic violence. I hope it has helped them as much as it has helped me. Taking to strangers can be so liberating. I also got a chance to help a girl break out of her shell, to remind her there are other ways to deal with pain besides inflicting it back on yourself. Although I may not be continuing with DVSAS for much longer, I hope that I can continue to make a difference in other youth's lives.

This has also been the first year that I've consistently had the same group of friends, ones that I met this time last year. After the end of last year, I was spreading myself too thin and trying to hang out with as many people as my schedule would allow. I became incredibly burnt out and made a resolution to cut out the negative people in my life, the ones that weren't benefiting me in any way. I've succeeded for the most part. I made the hardest decision in my life to end my 12 year friendship with my best friend in August. Talk about stabbing a knife into my heart but I knew that it would be for the best. Especially because I found out that she didn't even really like me and thought I was crazy. Yeah, sounds like a great best friend huh? I have been more anti-social in the past few months due to a lot of different circumstances but the desire to be alone has passed. I just need to stop being jetlagged and sick so I can actually hang out with friends again!

There have been some really horrible moments this year--with October being truly the worst month of my life. And I've been sick more times this year than ever before (O HAI Strep). But every year will have those moments.

Good things::
I went to Disneyworld this year. And the Coast, snuck away with Ell. I saw New Kids on the Block. I went to the Pacific Science Center and acted like I was 5. I saw the Vagina Memoirs for the first time and spoke at "Unbound." I participated in "Take Back the Night." I had the best sex of my life this year. I learned how to knit. I got two internships. I had a wonderful 4th of July at Samish Island with Ell. I had a great 23rd birthday. I got my first rode bike and two new tattoos. I ate at Old Town every Sunday for nearly 6 months--where I befriended Steeb and Matthew and then Libby. I got into a car accident after I ate a ton of pot cornbread (the dude hit me!). I smoked hookah for the first time. I met Elliott's best friend and family. I read 10 books over the summer. I MET SHERMAN ALEXIE! I cut off all my hair and changed my style completely. I kicked ass in school even if I never wanted to go to class. I finished my Communication degree. I made some of the best friends I will ever have this year and I am now only realizing it as I get closer to graduation. I WENT TO ENGLAND FOR CHRISTMAS! And I fell in love.

Elliott has been a part of most of the wonderful things I did this year. I didn't expect him, I wasn't looking but it just happened and kept happening. I could go on and on about how pretty schrad he is but that would be pretty nauseating. I will say, however, that Elliott is so much more than my boyfriend. He is truly my best friend. There aren't words to describe how much he means to me. I love him. I love you, you big goober! :)



2009 holds a lot of possibilities. I graduate in March and as of right now, I have no idea what exactly I'm going to do. I want to travel more, experience life. I'm just excited for new beginnings and see where the rest of my 23rd year takes me!

Love to all! Thanks for being part of a pretty awesome 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment